As the body’s largest organ, skin is often unappreciated as the first line of defense against injury. Many factors both intrinsic and extrinsic to the patient threaten its integrity as a protective barrier. This dramatically visual course reviews the many functions of skin in the maintenance of health and protection from harm. This knowledge will assist the caregiver in developing strategies that protect the body’s ultimate defense mechanism.
After completing this continuing education activity, the participant should be able to:
1. Define the major functions of the skin.
2. Describe factors that assault the skin and threaten its integrity.
3. Describe the structure of skin and how it affects its functions.
4. Identify how skin changes with age and how those changes impact the function of skin.
5. Delineate the importance of the basic skin assessment, and the elements to assess.
#Courses #CE #Nursing #Pressure-Injury-Prevention #Wound-Management #Infection-Prevention #Quality-Improvement-Leadership #Foundational-Courses